Leisure Lines

REFLECTIONS from a practitioner and educator who served 44 years in the field of recreation and leisure services

Monday, February 01, 2010

Recreation and Folks Over 60


FOLKS OVER 60 are making recreation and leisure activities a higher priority in their lives more than ever before. This is especially true for the majority of individuals who have retired from full-time jobs. Generally speaking, those over the age of 60 are now much more likely to develop new interests and often are more ready to establish new relationships. Senior adults not only can expect to live longer, but their circumstances are likely to be quite different from past generations regarding social activities, familial roles, and other factors. Research has shed some light on these changes. "As more of the population ages, this means more people are reaching the age of retirement sooner and living longer."(1)

Because of improved medical care, seniors are not just living longer and healthier lives, but are living lives differently. Many are creating new networks of friends, taking classes, volunteering, and participating in active sports. A lifestyle which includes involvement in recreation, helps meet the mental, emotional, physical, social, and sometimes spiritual needs of senior adults.

Studies have proven that regular physical exercise has enormous health-related value to this older age group. Some of the benefits include improving sleep; assisting in weight reduction; enhancing memory; developing immunities; countering depression; and helping to prevent heart attacks, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis.(2) Thus, it makes extremely good sense for senior adults to get away from the rocking-chair mentality and to cultivate an invigorating pattern of life.
.
Speaking from a personal perspective, for many years I had the privilege of providing recreation opportunities for folks over 60. It was during that period of time that I saw over and over again the genuine value of leisure activities for older adults. The benefits were so clear that I became thoroughly convinced that "golden-agers need to play!" Now, these many years later, I'm in the over 60 group myself - I'm one of them! And, my own body, mind, and spirit keep impressing upon me what I have known for nearly 50 years: exercise, recreation, and leisure activities are imperatives for those of us in the senior adult category who wish to maintain a happy and healthy lifestyle.

Back when I was observing golden-agers in leisure settings, several things stood-out. I noticed that senior adults had a good time being together; they enjoyed each-other's company; they enjoyed being around young people and children; they were ready to participate in physical, social, musical, arts, crafts, retreat, outdoor, and dramatic activities; they loved to take part in guided tours and travel; they enjoyed games of all kinds; and, they were highly capable of being mentors, leaders, and supervisors of others in play situations. In fact, I quickly discovered that they made excellent helpers and assistants! I'm not sure how I would have survived in the administration and operation of recreation programs and facilities without faithful senior adult volunteers.

Now, I am learning from my own personal experiences what I had earlier only observed - and taught - regarding the over 60 age-group. As a senior adult myself, I am now "practicing" my former subject matter; and, I am attempting to make the best possible use of my time!
.
To sum up, this is what I know - beyond any shadow of doubt: recreation and folks over 60 go hand in hand. So the message here for older adults (and all other age groups, as well) is to keep on playing! The probability is very good that it will lengthen your life.
_____
(1) Sheila and Kenneth Backman, "The Role of Park and Recreation Services Retiree Relocation Decisions," Trends (Fall 1993): 19.
(2) "Personal Health: More of the Elderly Seek the Benefits of Exercise," New York Times (October 4, 1995): C-11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home